Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Sister's Keeper
Never has a book triggered so much emotion from me the way Jodi Picoult's beautiful novel, "My Sister's Keeper," did. I must admit, upon starting the book I could not decide whether I liked it or not but as I continued to turn the pages, the beauty in the plot became visible and in the last few action-packed pages that simply brought me to tears, I made up my mind that "My Sister's Keeper" is painfully amazing.

I mentioned in my previous blog post that many books have some inappropriate and unnecessary aspects. This is the place in which "My Sister's Keeper's" single flaw lies. There were some features that disgusted me, but I must say that these were almost made up for in the never-declining language quality and the ingenious concepts explored in the main (and appropriate) plot. The basic story features the Fitzgerald family - Sara, Brian, Jesse, Kate and Anna. When Kate is two, she is diagnosed with leukemia and it soon becomes clear to Sara and Brian, her parents, that she will need a donor who will be willing to donate several organs to Kate in order to keep her alive; thus Anna is born. When Anna is thirteen, she files a lawsuit against her parents after it is discovered that she is required to donate a kidney to Kate. Through the course of this case, Kate's entire record of suffering is exposed, along with the neglect the other Fitzgerald children have had to endure as a result of Kate's illness. The story is gripping from beginning to end and the reader stumbles upon a major twist towards the end.

Even after completing the novel I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, contemplating its concepts. Is it fair for a child to be born for the sole purpose of saving another? How do people like Sara and Brian bear the fear and pain that constantly plagues them? I strongly recommend this novel to those who can manage the release of their emotional baggage - it is thoroughly enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment