Friday, October 12, 2012

Poems of William Shakespeare

After hearing a lot about William Shakespeare and his works that were supposedly literary masterpieces, so I decided to form my own opinion of his poems. Thus, I am able to confirm that William Shakespeare is undoubtedly a literary artist, his pieces so impeccable that I could barely tear myself from them. The poems I have read include "Over Hill, Over Dale," "All the World's a Stage," "Blow, Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind," "Some Say that Ever 'Gainst That Season Comes," "To Be or Not to Be," "Oh My Offence is Rank,"  "How All Occasions Do Inform Against Me," "One More Unto the Breach, Dear Friends,"  "Blow, Winds, and Crack Your Cheeks!"  and "The Merciless Macdonwald." These poems are all found in Shakespeare plays and this provoked my fascination as I enjoy theatre. Admittedly, the Old English found in these poems confused me and I had to self-monitor in order to maintain my grasp on understanding of the poems. However, I managed to form a basic understanding of each piece through inferring and the use of my prior knowledge to find definitions for the words I had not previously encountered.

I would like to comment on the fact that that almost none of these pieces contain topics that are highly inappropriate yet they are highly enjoyable. The language is crafted beautifully in a way that is foreign to typical modern society, yet ingenious and packed with assisting language features. One of the most frequent parts of speech used in these poems is the metaphor; I have enjoyed inferring the meanings of phrases such as "My thoughts be bloody" and "villainies of nature."

Another wonderful aspect of the poems I have read is that not one is a repetition of another; they are each unique with their own meanings. Many are very philosophical, such as "All the World's a Stage," and I would recommend all these poems to anyone who enjoys contemplation - or simply nice poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment